ESP32-S2 is a truly secure, highly integrated, low-power, 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi Microcontroller SoC supporting Wi-Fi HT40 and having 43 GPIOs. Based on an Xtensa® single-core 32-bit LX7 processor, it can be clocked at up to 240 MHz.
With state-of-the-art power management and RF performance, IO capabilities and security features, ESP32-S2 is an ideal choice for a wide variety of IoT or connectivity-based applications, including smart home and wearables. With an integrated 240 MHz Xtensa® core, ESP32-S2 is sufficient for building the most demanding connected devices without requiring external MCUs.
By leveraging Espressif’s mature and production-ready software development framework (ESP-IDF), ESP32-S2 achieves a balance of performance and cost, thus bringing faster and more secure IoT connectivity solutions to the market.
Table of Contents:
- 1 ESP32-S2 Features:-
- 2 Share this:
CPU and Memory: ESP32-S2
- Xtensa® single-core 32-bit LX7 microcontroller
- 7-stage pipeline
- Clock frequency of up to 240 MHz
- Ultra-low-power co-processor
- 320 kB SRAM, 128 kB ROM, 16 KB RTC memory
- Up to 1GB of external flash and SRAM support
- Separate instruction and data cache
- Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n
- 1×1 transmit and receive
- HT40 support with data rate up to 150 Mbps
- Support for TCP/IP networking, ESP-MESH networking, TLS 1.0, 1.1 and 1.2 and other networking protocols over Wi-Fi
- Support Time-of-Flight (TOF) measurements with normal Wi-Fi packets
IO Peripherals: ESP32-S2
- 43 programmable GPIOs
- 14 capacitive touch sensing IOs
- Standard peripherals including SPI, I2C, I2S, UART, ADC/DAC and PWM
- LCD (8-bit parallel RGB/8080/6800) interface and also support for 16/24-bit parallel
- Camera interface supports 8 or 16-bit DVP image sensor, with clock frequency of up to 40 MHz
- Full speed USB OTG support
- RSA-3072-based trusted application boot
- AES256-XTS-based flash encryption to protect sensitive data at rest
- 4096-bit eFUSE memory with 2048 bits available for application
- Digital signature peripheral for secure storage of private keys and generation of RSA signatures
Optimal Power Consumption: ESP32-S2
ESP32-S2 supports fine-resolution power-control through a selection of clock frequency, duty cycle, Wi-Fi operating modes and individual power control of its internal components.
- When Wi-Fi is enabled, the chip automatically powers on or off the RF transceiver only when needed, thereby reducing the overall power consumption of the system.
- ULP co-processor with less than 5 uA idle mode and 24 uA at 1% duty-cycle current consumption. Improved Wi-Fi-connected and MCU-idle-mode power consumption.
ESP32-S2 supports Espressif’s software development framework (ESP-IDF), which is a mature and production-ready platform. Availability of common cloud connectivity agents and common product features shortens the time to market.
ESP32-S2 offers a universal Wi-Fi connectivity solution for a variety of applications, ranging from consumer to industrial use-cases. Furthermore, the computing power and memory expandability also makes it a suitable solution for simple ML-on-edge applications.
While it can support a large number of use-cases, the main target application use-cases are listed below:
Ranges from simple solutions like light bulbs, smart door-locks, smart sockets to white goods and kitchen appliances, over-the-top (OTT) devices and video streaming devices like security cameras
- Supports Mesh Network, which can be applied to large-scale commercial lighting and smart-home network solutions.
- Allows efficient interfacing with a wide range of sensors, which is suitable for the needs of different smart-home scenarios.
Connected Wi-Fi sensors, Wi-Fi enabled toys, wearable and healthcare devices
- Small 7 mm ⨉ 7 mm QFN package, which is ideal for wearable devices
- Low power consumption, in hibernation mode, of less than 5 uA enables application in battery-operated devices or long standby-time devices
- QSPI/OPI supports multiple flash/SRAM chips for flexible configuration of NVM and volatile data storage
Industrial automation includes wireless control and robotics, smart lighting, HVAC control, which can ensure high-quality technology development and a long life-cycle for products.
- With its high RF performance and security features, it can meet strict requirements and high standards of reliability and efficiency for electronic control.
Retail & Catering Applications
POS machines and service robots
- Advanced security features enable the protection of sensitive data on the chip and the flash device
- Small form factor
- With 14 highly sensitive touch sensors and an LCD interface, ESP32-S2 targets low-cost securely connected HMI devices, such as POS machines
Engineering Samples of ESP32-S2 beta will be available in June.